When design is you job, there are lot of complicated (and expensive) tools that are used regularly to create a visual brand. The great news is that there are some FREE gems out there that are easy to use and even easier to love. Here are a few of my favorites:
- PicMonkey: Sometimes you just don’t need all of the power of Photoshop. PicMonkey is an online photo-editing tool that lets you crop photos, add text, add fun effects (everything from air brushing to adding a hipster mustache. You know, all the necessities), compile photos into a collage and lots more. There’s a free and a paid version and both a suitable for novices and up.
- Creative Market: I. Love. This. Site. While most of the beautiful creations on this site are for sale, every week Creative Market has 3 FREE Goods of the Week. I’ve snagged everything from gorgeous graphic backgrounds, to drool-worthy fonts, to WordPress themes and more. Get on their email list so you don’t miss a freebie!
- Design-Seeds: My go-to resource when I’m working on a color palette for a brand. So you know you love aqua, but you aren’t sure how you want to use it or what colors can go with it? Play around with the color pallets on Design Seeds and you’ll be blown away with all of your beautiful options! (You may want to set a timer. Or take the afternoon off. All of this color can really suck you in!) BONUS: Check out this awesome post from Jewels Branch: 3 Sites that Make Color Pallets From Photos
- The League of Movable Type: Font lovers, hold your hats. This is some serious goodness. The League of Movable Type offers top-quality open-source fonts AND education to go with them on how to really understand typography in their free newsletter. The font nerd in me hyperventilates just visiting this page.
- Inky Deals: I almost didn’t include this one because it can be a little cheesy and they do send a LOT of emails (you may want to bookmark this one instead of subscribing.) But I keep finding myself back on this site when they have that perfect simple FREE vector graphic element I’ve been looking for. Plus they’re from Romania, which somehow makes them cooler.
So now its your turn to SHARE! What’s your secret resource we all should know about?!